Stoke Newington business man walks marathon for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney business man was one of thousands to take part in a night-time walking marathon to raise money for charity.
Hamdy Shahein, the proprietor of Hamdy’s newsagents in Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington took part in the challenge to raise money for Cancer Research on Saturday.
He said: “I am really happy that I took part. The atmosphere was amazing and the torrent of purple t-shirts winding its way across London was a wonderful thing to see.
“We witnessed tears of pain and tears of joy and watched people dig very deep throughout the night and early morning to ensure they finished.
“Sometimes we under-estimate our achievements but we genuinely believe this marathon effort was quite incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“The volunteers were great too - they were really encouraging and full of energy. It was a great night! Everyone should be proud of themselves.”
To sponsor Mr Shahein, visit http://www.justgiving.com/hamdyshahein.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside