Stoke Newington business man walks marathon for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney business man was one of thousands to take part in a night-time walking marathon to raise money for charity.
Hamdy Shahein, the proprietor of Hamdy’s newsagents in Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington took part in the challenge to raise money for Cancer Research on Saturday.
He said: “I am really happy that I took part. The atmosphere was amazing and the torrent of purple t-shirts winding its way across London was a wonderful thing to see.
“We witnessed tears of pain and tears of joy and watched people dig very deep throughout the night and early morning to ensure they finished.
“Sometimes we under-estimate our achievements but we genuinely believe this marathon effort was quite incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“The volunteers were great too - they were really encouraging and full of energy. It was a great night! Everyone should be proud of themselves.”
To sponsor Mr Shahein, visit http://www.justgiving.com/hamdyshahein.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs