Stoke Newington business man walks marathon for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney business man was one of thousands to take part in a night-time walking marathon to raise money for charity.
Hamdy Shahein, the proprietor of Hamdy’s newsagents in Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington took part in the challenge to raise money for Cancer Research on Saturday.
He said: “I am really happy that I took part. The atmosphere was amazing and the torrent of purple t-shirts winding its way across London was a wonderful thing to see.
“We witnessed tears of pain and tears of joy and watched people dig very deep throughout the night and early morning to ensure they finished.
“Sometimes we under-estimate our achievements but we genuinely believe this marathon effort was quite incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“The volunteers were great too - they were really encouraging and full of energy. It was a great night! Everyone should be proud of themselves.”
To sponsor Mr Shahein, visit http://www.justgiving.com/hamdyshahein.
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney