Stoke Newington business man walks marathon for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney business man was one of thousands to take part in a night-time walking marathon to raise money for charity.
Hamdy Shahein, the proprietor of Hamdy’s newsagents in Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington took part in the challenge to raise money for Cancer Research on Saturday.
He said: “I am really happy that I took part. The atmosphere was amazing and the torrent of purple t-shirts winding its way across London was a wonderful thing to see.
“We witnessed tears of pain and tears of joy and watched people dig very deep throughout the night and early morning to ensure they finished.
“Sometimes we under-estimate our achievements but we genuinely believe this marathon effort was quite incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“The volunteers were great too - they were really encouraging and full of energy. It was a great night! Everyone should be proud of themselves.”
To sponsor Mr Shahein, visit http://www.justgiving.com/hamdyshahein.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 9 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop