Stoke Newington cadet commander is best in north east London
A cadet instructor has been honoured for dedication to her Stoke Newington detachment.
Staff Corporal Hayley Good, of Newington Green, was awarded the title of Best Detachment Commander 2010 in north east London by the Greater London Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (GL RFCA). She received the award at the GL RFCA’s spring meeting.
Hayley, who works as a PA for Knight Frank, gives up two evenings a week and frequent weekends to command a troupe of 13- to 18-year-olds in the 26 Lifeguards Detachment, Albion Road. Now 29, she was a cadet in the same group in the 1990s.
“I like to think that being an ex-cadet gives me a better understanding of what the current cadets would like to do – how to progress and have fun,” she said. “Being in the Army Cadet Force has given me more confidence personally and the ability to communicate with different types of people.”
Under Hayley’s instruction, cadets achieve BTEC, Duke of Edinburgh and First Aid qualifications.
You may also want to watch:
Colonel Mark Bryant, commandant of the City of London North East London Sector Army Cadet Force, said: “Hayley is very worthy of this award. Her willingness to accept extra responsibilities has been outstanding.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers