This week in history: Stoke Newington estate agent’s murder remains unsolved - 30 years on
- Credit: Archant
An estate agent was shot dead in his own office in Stoke Newington - and 30 years on his murder remains unsolved.
Lionel Webb, 38, was killed with a single shotgun blast at the HQ of Greenvale estate agency in Evering Road.
The front of the office was open, and police believed the victim may have arranged to meet his killer.
At the time forensic experts were combing the building for clues to the murder, and it was hoped shotgun pellets removed from the wall could give a vital lead on the gun used.
Detectives piecing together Mr Webb’s final hours discovered an acquaintance had seen him minutes before his death when she passed by his window.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly afterwards she returned to find him slumped against the back wall.”
Apparently he was later found to have bought a house in the name of his girlfriend without telling her, and drugs were found stored in the office safe.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers