Stoke Newington kebab shop is voted top ten in the country
- Credit: Archant
A kebab shop in Stoke Newington, which has been frequented by the likes of Friends star David Schwimmer, has been voted one of the best in the UK.
The first-ever Best Kebab Awards, which was held at the Houses of Parliament last Monday, saw the Best Turkish Kebab Shop in Stoke Newington Road, Stoke Newington voted one of the top 10 kebab businesses nationally, one of the top four places in London and the best kebab shop in Hackney.
Brothers Ismail, 40, and Mustafa Demir, 33, have run the shop for the last 12 years, although it first opened 41 years ago.
Mustafa Demir, of De Beauvoir Road, attributed the success of their doner and shish kebabs to the meat they use.
Mustafa said: “We make our kebabs using only lamb shoulder, which is the most expensive and tastiest part of lamb. We don’t add anything else to our kebabs.”
The takeaway has also been visited by the likes of British chef and TV presenter Ainsley Harriott, renowned cook Delia Smith and food critic Jay Rayner.
The accolade is the latest in a string of awards, including recognition as one of London’s top 10 kebab joints.
- 1 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 2 2 men stabbed in 'row involving group' in Upper Clapton
- 3 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 4 Nursery downgraded by inspectors over sleep and safety concerns
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 7 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
In Islington, Antepliler, of Upper Street, also made the top 10 nationally, was one of the top four places in London and the best place for kebabs in the borough.