Stoke Newington kebab shop is voted top ten in the country
- Credit: Archant
A kebab shop in Stoke Newington, which has been frequented by the likes of Friends star David Schwimmer, has been voted one of the best in the UK.
The first-ever Best Kebab Awards, which was held at the Houses of Parliament last Monday, saw the Best Turkish Kebab Shop in Stoke Newington Road, Stoke Newington voted one of the top 10 kebab businesses nationally, one of the top four places in London and the best kebab shop in Hackney.
Brothers Ismail, 40, and Mustafa Demir, 33, have run the shop for the last 12 years, although it first opened 41 years ago.
Mustafa Demir, of De Beauvoir Road, attributed the success of their doner and shish kebabs to the meat they use.
Mustafa said: “We make our kebabs using only lamb shoulder, which is the most expensive and tastiest part of lamb. We don’t add anything else to our kebabs.”
You may also want to watch:
The takeaway has also been visited by the likes of British chef and TV presenter Ainsley Harriott, renowned cook Delia Smith and food critic Jay Rayner.
The accolade is the latest in a string of awards, including recognition as one of London’s top 10 kebab joints.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
In Islington, Antepliler, of Upper Street, also made the top 10 nationally, was one of the top four places in London and the best place for kebabs in the borough.