Stoke Newington kebab shop is voted top ten in the country
- Credit: Archant
A kebab shop in Stoke Newington, which has been frequented by the likes of Friends star David Schwimmer, has been voted one of the best in the UK.
The first-ever Best Kebab Awards, which was held at the Houses of Parliament last Monday, saw the Best Turkish Kebab Shop in Stoke Newington Road, Stoke Newington voted one of the top 10 kebab businesses nationally, one of the top four places in London and the best kebab shop in Hackney.
Brothers Ismail, 40, and Mustafa Demir, 33, have run the shop for the last 12 years, although it first opened 41 years ago.
Mustafa Demir, of De Beauvoir Road, attributed the success of their doner and shish kebabs to the meat they use.
Mustafa said: “We make our kebabs using only lamb shoulder, which is the most expensive and tastiest part of lamb. We don’t add anything else to our kebabs.”
You may also want to watch:
The takeaway has also been visited by the likes of British chef and TV presenter Ainsley Harriott, renowned cook Delia Smith and food critic Jay Rayner.
The accolade is the latest in a string of awards, including recognition as one of London’s top 10 kebab joints.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
In Islington, Antepliler, of Upper Street, also made the top 10 nationally, was one of the top four places in London and the best place for kebabs in the borough.