Stoke Newington ladies adorn tree with pom-poms
The WI group decorated the tree to celebrate International Women’s Day.
A crack team of Stoke Newington WI ladies in mittens and hats adorned trees with homemade pom-poms and a knitted banner, to celebrate International Women’s Day yesterday.
President of the Women’s Institute Kate Azurdia, who arranged the yarn-bombing exercise in Albion Parade, said: “Lucy and Jacqui, our most nimble and courageous members, managed to scale to the top branches - all in aid of a good cause.
“Tuesday was the perfect crisp sunny morning for the residents and local passers by to wake up and marvel at the wonderful colourful sight that greeted them - I noticed a fair few smiles and photos being taken.
“It certainly got heads turning and tongues wagging,” she added.
You may also want to watch:
This year marks a centenary for the day which is held annually to celebrate the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future - and which also acts as a reminder of inequalities that still to be redressed.
The WI group meet on the second Monday of each month, the next meeting on Monday will include a tour of vintage clothing shop Stroll in Stoke Newington Church Street at 8pm.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
For more information see http://stokenewingtonwi.blogspot.com/