Stoke Newington man gets on his bike for charity
A Stoke Newington man will pedal his way across the mountains and jungles of Mexico, on an intrepid cycling adventure to raise money for a cancer charity.
Chris Booth who lives in Stoke Newington Road wants to raise �3,500 for Macmillan Cancer on its 2011 Mexico Cycling Challenge and will set off next Saturday (March 26).
Starting from the Gulf of Mexico, Chris’ eight-day challenge will see him riding 612km through dense jungle and tropical farmland, up over mountain ranges - including a 3,000m climb - and down to the beautiful beaches of the Pacific Coast.
Chris, a 28-year old accountant, said: “I’m really looking forward to the challenge, though I guess there’s also a bit of nervous anticipation as well, as I’ve never undertaken something like this.
“It will be difficult as the challenge is 8 days of cycling about 80km a day, although I’ve been doing lots of training during winter to prepare myself.
You may also want to watch:
“I signed up as I wanted to support Macmillan, which does a great amount of work helping sufferers of cancer deal with their illness, and although I’ve not been directly affected, I felt it was a great way to raise funds for the charity and promote the work they do.
“I’m really excited about the challenge and can’t wait to make it to Acapulco,” he added.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
Chris has already raised �1,880 but needs more support to reach his target.
To donate go to http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Booth/