Stoke Newington man gets on his bike for charity
A Stoke Newington man will pedal his way across the mountains and jungles of Mexico, on an intrepid cycling adventure to raise money for a cancer charity.
Chris Booth who lives in Stoke Newington Road wants to raise �3,500 for Macmillan Cancer on its 2011 Mexico Cycling Challenge and will set off next Saturday (March 26).
Starting from the Gulf of Mexico, Chris’ eight-day challenge will see him riding 612km through dense jungle and tropical farmland, up over mountain ranges - including a 3,000m climb - and down to the beautiful beaches of the Pacific Coast.
Chris, a 28-year old accountant, said: “I’m really looking forward to the challenge, though I guess there’s also a bit of nervous anticipation as well, as I’ve never undertaken something like this.
“It will be difficult as the challenge is 8 days of cycling about 80km a day, although I’ve been doing lots of training during winter to prepare myself.
“I signed up as I wanted to support Macmillan, which does a great amount of work helping sufferers of cancer deal with their illness, and although I’ve not been directly affected, I felt it was a great way to raise funds for the charity and promote the work they do.
“I’m really excited about the challenge and can’t wait to make it to Acapulco,” he added.
- 1 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 4 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 9 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
Chris has already raised �1,880 but needs more support to reach his target.
To donate go to http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Booth/