Stoke Newington model celebrates 105th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Stoke Newington model has celebrated her 105th birthday.
Irene Sinclair travelled the world eight years ago when she was chosen as a pin-up girl for Dove soap.
On Monday friends and family presented the great-grandmother with flowers and cake at Olive Cox Lodge sheltered housing in Yoakley Road, Stoke Newington.
Known to her friends as Renee, she was born in Guyana where she taught history, but moved to Hornsey in 1957 to look after her daughter’s children.
She retired in Stoke Newington in 1971.
You may also want to watch:
When Dove picked her in 2005 to star in their ad campaign designed to challenge stereotypical view of female beauty, she spent four days in Manhattan for photo shoots, TV and radio interviews and champagne dinners.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 10 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners