Stoke Newington model celebrates 105th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Stoke Newington model has celebrated her 105th birthday.
Irene Sinclair travelled the world eight years ago when she was chosen as a pin-up girl for Dove soap.
On Monday friends and family presented the great-grandmother with flowers and cake at Olive Cox Lodge sheltered housing in Yoakley Road, Stoke Newington.
Known to her friends as Renee, she was born in Guyana where she taught history, but moved to Hornsey in 1957 to look after her daughter’s children.
She retired in Stoke Newington in 1971.
You may also want to watch:
When Dove picked her in 2005 to star in their ad campaign designed to challenge stereotypical view of female beauty, she spent four days in Manhattan for photo shoots, TV and radio interviews and champagne dinners.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets