Stoke Newington man to run 10k for homeless charity
- Credit: Courtesy of Melvyn Williams
A Stoke Newington resident has set himself the challenge of running 10k for London homeless charity Streets Kitchen.
Keen runner and former Camden resident Melvyn Williams volunteers at the charity.
He said: “Christmas is coming up and it’s colder this time of year. Sleeping out on the street can cause people a lot of health problems so that is why I’m going to do my best to raise as much funds as I can, just to help people really and to help Streets Kitchen.”
Melvyn plans to run solo on December 15 and record his time and distance on a fitness app.
He is an experienced runner but has recently started competing, completing runs like the Hackney Half marathon and ASICS London 10k.
You may also want to watch:
“All my adult life I have always been into keeping fit and running but I only started running races last year, and then realized I’m pretty good.
“So, I’m going to take it up more seriously and I’m always going to do it for some good cause or charity.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
Previous charities Melvyn has run for include Cancer Research UK, Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice and Changing Faces.
To sponsor Melvyn, visit Paypal.me/streetskitchen