Stoke Newington restaurant damaged in fire this morning
- Credit: Archant
Fire crew from a fire station that is earmarked for closure were instrumental in tackling a fire at a restaurant in Stoke Newington this morning.
Two fire engines from Kingsland Fire station in Kingsland Road sped to the scene of the fire at Istanbul Restaurant in Stoke Newington Road. They were joined by colleagues from Stoke Newington fire station in Stoke Newington Church Street in Stoke Newington to tackle the blaze which broke out around 10am.
Around 21 officers fought for nearly an hour to bring the fire under control.
Station manager Matthew Burrows said: “The restaurant ducting and part of the wooden ceiling were on fire. There was quite a lot of smoke and this spread to the first floor flat.”
Five people escaped from flats above the restaurant before the London Fire Brigade arrived.
A crew and a duty officer from London Ambulance Service treated one patient at the scene after being called out to Kingsland High Street at 10.12am.
One witness - Laura Carter, of Haggerston Road, Haggerston said: “It looks like fire crew got here quickly. I’m worried about what will happen if they shut down Kingsland Fire station down. Even though Stoke Newington Fire station is technically closer, they have to navigate a one-way system whereas Kingsland Fire station is straight down the road.
- 1 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 4 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 5 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 6 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 7 Hackney shooting: Appeal after 'weapons fight' in Lower Clapton
- 8 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 9 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 10 Man dies after being found on fire in Stoke Newington
Traffic going northbound on Kingsland High Street and Stoke Newington Road was brought to a halt during the incident.