Stoke Newington restaurant damaged in fire this morning
- Credit: Archant
Fire crew from a fire station that is earmarked for closure were instrumental in tackling a fire at a restaurant in Stoke Newington this morning.
Two fire engines from Kingsland Fire station in Kingsland Road sped to the scene of the fire at Istanbul Restaurant in Stoke Newington Road. They were joined by colleagues from Stoke Newington fire station in Stoke Newington Church Street in Stoke Newington to tackle the blaze which broke out around 10am.
Around 21 officers fought for nearly an hour to bring the fire under control.
Station manager Matthew Burrows said: “The restaurant ducting and part of the wooden ceiling were on fire. There was quite a lot of smoke and this spread to the first floor flat.”
Five people escaped from flats above the restaurant before the London Fire Brigade arrived.
You may also want to watch:
A crew and a duty officer from London Ambulance Service treated one patient at the scene after being called out to Kingsland High Street at 10.12am.
One witness - Laura Carter, of Haggerston Road, Haggerston said: “It looks like fire crew got here quickly. I’m worried about what will happen if they shut down Kingsland Fire station down. Even though Stoke Newington Fire station is technically closer, they have to navigate a one-way system whereas Kingsland Fire station is straight down the road.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant
- 10 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
Traffic going northbound on Kingsland High Street and Stoke Newington Road was brought to a halt during the incident.