Stoke Newington restaurants win accolades at Asian Curry Awards 2013
- Credit: Archant
Two Stoke Newington restaurants have scooped awards for serving up the best Asian curries.
Oishiii in Church Street won the accolade of best Japanese at this year’s Asian Curry Awards, while Team Wantavee, executive chef at Yum Yum in the High Street, was handed an outstanding achievement award in a cooking competition between over 200 other restaurant chefs.
Over 1,000 leading Asian restaurateurs, VIPs and embassy dignitaries gathered for the glittering gala dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel to honour the winners last Sunday.
The evening was hosted by Sky TV’s Lukwesa Burak with Prime Minister David Cameron and Deputy PM Nick Clegg both delivering messages of support by video link.
A spokesman for both restaurants, which are owned by entrepreneur Atique Choudhury, said: “People have a notion that Asian Curry awards is only for Indian restaurants, but it’s also for the Thai curry.
You may also want to watch:
“This achievement is very vital to the Asian cuisine scene.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service