Stoke Newington restaurants win accolades at Asian Curry Awards 2013
- Credit: Archant
Two Stoke Newington restaurants have scooped awards for serving up the best Asian curries.
Oishiii in Church Street won the accolade of best Japanese at this year’s Asian Curry Awards, while Team Wantavee, executive chef at Yum Yum in the High Street, was handed an outstanding achievement award in a cooking competition between over 200 other restaurant chefs.
Over 1,000 leading Asian restaurateurs, VIPs and embassy dignitaries gathered for the glittering gala dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel to honour the winners last Sunday.
The evening was hosted by Sky TV’s Lukwesa Burak with Prime Minister David Cameron and Deputy PM Nick Clegg both delivering messages of support by video link.
A spokesman for both restaurants, which are owned by entrepreneur Atique Choudhury, said: “People have a notion that Asian Curry awards is only for Indian restaurants, but it’s also for the Thai curry.
You may also want to watch:
“This achievement is very vital to the Asian cuisine scene.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney