Stoke Newington restaurants win accolades at Asian Curry Awards 2013
- Credit: Archant
Two Stoke Newington restaurants have scooped awards for serving up the best Asian curries.
Oishiii in Church Street won the accolade of best Japanese at this year’s Asian Curry Awards, while Team Wantavee, executive chef at Yum Yum in the High Street, was handed an outstanding achievement award in a cooking competition between over 200 other restaurant chefs.
Over 1,000 leading Asian restaurateurs, VIPs and embassy dignitaries gathered for the glittering gala dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel to honour the winners last Sunday.
The evening was hosted by Sky TV’s Lukwesa Burak with Prime Minister David Cameron and Deputy PM Nick Clegg both delivering messages of support by video link.
A spokesman for both restaurants, which are owned by entrepreneur Atique Choudhury, said: “People have a notion that Asian Curry awards is only for Indian restaurants, but it’s also for the Thai curry.
You may also want to watch:
“This achievement is very vital to the Asian cuisine scene.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 7 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 8 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus