Record-breaking year for top grades on A-level results day at Stoke Newington School
- Credit: Archant
A quarter of students at Stoke Newington School bagged either an A* or an A when they opened their A-level results this morning – a new record.
Students will be taking a range of courses at university, from veterinary science to astrophysics, as well as film-making after 80 per cent of them achieved A* to C grades. The overall pass rate was set at 99per cent.
The school now fully expects to be rated “outstanding” for the progress its sixth form students has made.
There were also great strides made in art, where 10 A*s were awarded across A-level and AS-level.
Some of the school’s individual successes, with their chosen destinations, include:
You may also want to watch:
Malaika Green-Okoloba, with A*s in citizenship and psychology, and an A in sociology, going to study psychology at Sussex University
Bella Branch with A*s in politics and psychology, and an A in English literature, going to study psychology at Bristol University
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Cerys Glynn Ramsden with A*s in history and psychology, and an A in media studies
Bede Geogeghan Hart with A*s in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, going to study natural sciences at University of Cambridge
Poppy Tollemache with A* in art and history, and A in English literature, going to read English language and literature at University of Oxford
Joe Tarnoky with A*s in maths, further maths and physics, going to read physics with astrophysics at University of Manchester
Daniyar Ghani with A*s in maths, further maths and physics, going to study maths at Imperial College.
Other courses being taken up by our students at university include criminology, animation and visual effects, games design and child psychology.
Headteacher Annie Gammon said: “We are delighted to see these brilliant achievements from all our sixth form students in both A-level and vocational courses. They, and their teachers, have worked hard and deserve this success.
“We have more and more students wanting to join our sixth form, with applicants from across Hackney and other London boroughs. I’m proud that all our students have got great results: all our intake make excellent progress whatever their starting point. We make a point of providing excellent teaching and tailored support for all our students.”
Crispin Truman, chair of Governors, added: “It’s great to see these continued excellent A2 results from Stoke Newington students. Governors, parents, teachers and of course the students themselves can be proud that our community sixth form is achieving at the very highest levels of secondary schools nationally.”