‘Best ever’ GCSE results at Stoke Newington School
- Credit: Archant
Students have secured the best GCSE results in Stoke Newington School’s history.
The percentage of students getting strong passes in English and maths (grade 5) is 52pc: 10pc higher than last year’s national figure. The equivalent percentage for grade 4 is 8pc above last year’s national figure. The new syllabus and grading systems for a wide range of subjects have largely been taken in their stride by the Stoke Newington School students.
On average more than 79pc of SNS students achieved grades 4 to 9 in the core subjects – up 4pc from last year. There were 89 new top level 9 grades across the full range of subjects– with three students gaining a 9 in both English and mathematics.
The school’s creative subjects continue to excel with very strong results among art, photography, media, music, drama and textiles. 29pc of students achieved the English Baccalaureate – well above the 24pc national figure from last year.
Headteacher Annie Gammon said: “We are very proud of our year 11 students – every one of them. We know that they are ambitious for their achievements; they worked hard and have been well taught and supported by our teachers. We continue to have excellent results in our creative subjects, as well as students achieving well in the fundamentals of maths and English. We are really pleased with their success.”
You may also want to watch:
Crispin Truman, chair of governors, added: “Well done to all the students at our inclusive, community school are doing so well. We continue to achieve results which improve year on year and are well above national averages. We are particularly proud of the value added for every group of students: almost all our pupils make strong progress.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia