Stoke Newington School hosts ‘speed dating’ event
Teenagers were encouraged to take part in a “speed dating” session by their teachers - but the event was not about finding love; the “dates” were all potential employers.
More than 50 professionals took part in the innovative careers day at Stoke Newington School, Clissold Road, and more than 200 year ten pupils spent a few minutes with each one of them to discuss the options available in their industry.
The idea was based on the time-saving craze of speed dating, in which partners whizz through a number of dates in one evening – each lasting just moments – in order to rate who they want to meet again.
Employers at the event on Wednesday, July 6, included a banker, a university lecturer, an artist, a police detective, a psychotherapist, a park ranger, and even a fashion trend forecaster.
Daisy Clarke, an apprentice plumber with Hackney Homes, said: “It was a good opportunity to talk to students and encourage them to consider working as a plumber or one of the other trades.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of the students are not sure what the job is really like and we were able to explain it to them.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service