Stoke Newington School hosts ‘speed dating’ event
Teenagers were encouraged to take part in a “speed dating” session by their teachers - but the event was not about finding love; the “dates” were all potential employers.
More than 50 professionals took part in the innovative careers day at Stoke Newington School, Clissold Road, and more than 200 year ten pupils spent a few minutes with each one of them to discuss the options available in their industry.
The idea was based on the time-saving craze of speed dating, in which partners whizz through a number of dates in one evening – each lasting just moments – in order to rate who they want to meet again.
Employers at the event on Wednesday, July 6, included a banker, a university lecturer, an artist, a police detective, a psychotherapist, a park ranger, and even a fashion trend forecaster.
Daisy Clarke, an apprentice plumber with Hackney Homes, said: “It was a good opportunity to talk to students and encourage them to consider working as a plumber or one of the other trades.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of the students are not sure what the job is really like and we were able to explain it to them.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 6 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors