Stoke Newington School hosts ‘speed dating’ event
Teenagers were encouraged to take part in a “speed dating” session by their teachers - but the event was not about finding love; the “dates” were all potential employers.
More than 50 professionals took part in the innovative careers day at Stoke Newington School, Clissold Road, and more than 200 year ten pupils spent a few minutes with each one of them to discuss the options available in their industry.
The idea was based on the time-saving craze of speed dating, in which partners whizz through a number of dates in one evening – each lasting just moments – in order to rate who they want to meet again.
Employers at the event on Wednesday, July 6, included a banker, a university lecturer, an artist, a police detective, a psychotherapist, a park ranger, and even a fashion trend forecaster.
Daisy Clarke, an apprentice plumber with Hackney Homes, said: “It was a good opportunity to talk to students and encourage them to consider working as a plumber or one of the other trades.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of the students are not sure what the job is really like and we were able to explain it to them.”
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses