Stoke Newington stabbing: Hackney man charged with trying to rape and murder woman, 27
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged with trying to rape and murder a 27-year-old woman in Stoke Newington.
The victim was stabbed repeatedly near the junction of Rectory Road and Evering Road in the early hours of April 9 and was rushed to hospital by medics.
Sabir Mohammed Sharif of Well Street appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on April 12 charged with attempted murder and attempted rape.
The 31-year-old was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on May 10.
A 243 bus driver is believed to have jumped out of his cab and called 999 just before 3.30am after seeing the woman lying in the road, which was taped off for days after the attack.
You may also want to watch:
She was initially fighting for her life but her condition has now improved, Scotland Yard said.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12