Stoke Newington woman treks Great Wall of China for charity
A Stoke Newington woman who lost her aunt and uncle to breast cancer, has trekked 50km along the Great Wall of China, raising money to beat the disease.
Dawn Grover, who lives in Manor Road, joined 22 fellow trekkers on an eight-day trip of a lifetime walking through scenic mountain ranges, jointly raising �50,000 for research charity Breast Cancer Campaign.
Dawn said: “Although it was tough at times, we all stuck together and have returned with some unforgettable memories.
“Having lost people who were quite young, I feel it’s imperative that we do all we can to raise both awareness of the disease so we can prevent it - but also to raise vital funds for research,” added the 47-year old who is currently supporting a close friend who was diagnosed last November aged 39.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK, with nearly 48,000 new cases of breast cancer diagnosed each year, 340 on average of whom are men.
You may also want to watch:
Dawn’s paid job is to support Breast Cancer Campaign’s community fundraisers.
“The other thing is recognising the impact breast cancer has on the entire family,” said Dawn.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
“Working here talking to affected people all the time, I hear how breast cancer devastates lives and I want to do all I can.
“I’m thrilled we raised so much money for Breast Cancer Campaign, and would like to thank everyone who sponsored me for this very worthwhile cause.
“I’d definitely recommend the challenge to people as it really was a fantastic experience.”
Breast Cancer Campaign is organising another trek in China next April.
To take part or for more information call Dawn on 020 7749 4114 or email email@example.com