Community arts group Stour Space given 149-year lease through new Hackney Wick student digs
- Credit: F10 Studios
Planning permission has been granted for an £80million student housing development in Hackney Wick, which guarantees the future of community arts group Stour Space for nearly 150 years.
Student accommodation specialist Future Generation received planning consent for The Vogue in Stour Road at a meeting of the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) planning committee to build the 330 bedroom complex.
Some 35 per cent of the accommodation will be subject to "affordable rents", while 25pc of its 1,908 sqm commercial space has been secured for Stour Space.
The not-for-profit body will get a 149-year lease on a peppercorn rent, providing it with a stable footing until 2168.
Stour Space, which offers free co-workspaces, affordable studio spaces and a gallery, narrowly avoided closure this year because of a lack of funding, and its future at its Roach Road premises remains uncertain.
You may also want to watch:
The lease will be held by a trust created for the purpose, called the Stour Trust.
Stour Space co-founder Juliet Can said: "We're absolutely delighted that the future of Stour Space has been given the strongest foundation and we can't wait to set up the Stour Trust, with exciting projects in the pipeline.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
"It's fantastic that we're going to be surrounded by a vibrant community of young people and we can concentrate on delivering opportunities for the people of Hackney Wick and Fish Island, as well as the wider community, with a sustainable platform through this development."