Street cleaners race on Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Archant
A charity fundraiser was held on Hackney Marshes to raise cash for the Speaker of Hackney’s charities.
Spectators were entertained by a free kick competition followed by an exhibition football game between Hackney Ladies and Haringey Ladies.
Hackney’s street cleaners provided additional entertainment, taking part in a race while pushing their trolleys.
Kemal Kebour, whose normal patch is in Shoreditch, triumphed over the short course.
Hackney Speaker, Cllr Michael Desmond, said: “Both sides played very well, entertaining the crowd and passers by and raising money for charity, with players also making their own generous donations.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The cleaners showed great verve, pushing their trolleys with enormous energy, maybe one day it will become an Olympic sport.”
Money raised will benefit the homeless charity, St Mungos and the Fairbridge Programme of the Prince’s Trust.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney