Street cleaners race on Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Archant
A charity fundraiser was held on Hackney Marshes to raise cash for the Speaker of Hackney’s charities.
Spectators were entertained by a free kick competition followed by an exhibition football game between Hackney Ladies and Haringey Ladies.
Hackney’s street cleaners provided additional entertainment, taking part in a race while pushing their trolleys.
Kemal Kebour, whose normal patch is in Shoreditch, triumphed over the short course.
Hackney Speaker, Cllr Michael Desmond, said: “Both sides played very well, entertaining the crowd and passers by and raising money for charity, with players also making their own generous donations.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The cleaners showed great verve, pushing their trolleys with enormous energy, maybe one day it will become an Olympic sport.”
Money raised will benefit the homeless charity, St Mungos and the Fairbridge Programme of the Prince’s Trust.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta