Street cleaners race on Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Archant
A charity fundraiser was held on Hackney Marshes to raise cash for the Speaker of Hackney’s charities.
Spectators were entertained by a free kick competition followed by an exhibition football game between Hackney Ladies and Haringey Ladies.
Hackney’s street cleaners provided additional entertainment, taking part in a race while pushing their trolleys.
Kemal Kebour, whose normal patch is in Shoreditch, triumphed over the short course.
Hackney Speaker, Cllr Michael Desmond, said: “Both sides played very well, entertaining the crowd and passers by and raising money for charity, with players also making their own generous donations.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The cleaners showed great verve, pushing their trolleys with enormous energy, maybe one day it will become an Olympic sport.”
Money raised will benefit the homeless charity, St Mungos and the Fairbridge Programme of the Prince’s Trust.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web