Street London photography festival returns to Shoreditch this month
- Credit: Archant
The festival, arranged by Hoxton Mini Press, will see a range of celebrated photographers give talks at D&AD between August 17 and 19.
“All year you are out there; working on the streets, making your pictures in isolation, thinking about why you do it,” says Nick Turpin, creative director of the Street London photography festival.
“Now we invite you to London to meet your colleagues, drink, eat, discuss your work and that of others.”
Turpin – together with guest creative directors Kristin Van den Eede and Olly Lang – will gather up a collection of leading street photographers to take part in this second annual event in Shoreditch next week.
The three-day festival is put together by Hoxton Mini Press, the independent publishers who specialise in photography books about London.
Street London will be held at D&AD on Cheshire Street between August 17 and 19, and this year’s theme is to explore the borders of street photography – more specifically where it intercepts with portrait, documentary and art photography.
Starting with welcome drinks and opening talks next Friday, a varied programme of events including a guided photo shoot around east London, a street party and a book market will follow across the weekend.
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 4 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 5 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 6 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Section 60: Increased stop and search powers in place across Hackney
The goal is to create an unrivalled gathering in the world’s capital for street photography and Turpin has signed up an impressive range of speakers to that end.
Award-winning photographer Simon Roberts and David Gaberle – who travelled for eight months through some of the world’s biggest cities for his debut book Metropolight – are just two of the many highlights on the bill.
The festival will also put the spotlight on Women in Street; a social media project which gives a platform for women street photographers to do their thing. Eleonore Simon, Susana Soler and Roza Vulf will each speak on behalf of the project.
Talks will also address the ethics of street photography and how to work as a street photographer, assessing how budding snappers can improve their chances of getting commissions.
Both weekend morning sessions will get underway with coffee from Climpson & Sons and Brick Lane Beigels, while Saturday’s street party will be fuelled by street food from Spitalfields Market and drinks from East London Liquor Company, Pressure Drop Brewery and Borough Wines at the bar.
Tickets are £150 for a full weekend, £100 for Saturday and £75 for Sunday only. Student full passes are £100. For more details, visit: streetlondon.co.uk