Street party update: empty streets instead of jubilant revellers in Hoxton
The rain and cold weather have put a dampener on street parties in Hackney today, with empty streets instead of revellers.
The only people braving the rain outside the George and Vulture pub in Pitfield Street are the organisers setting up and a handful of children making the most of the bouncy castle.
Disappointed kitchen director, Luigi Stancanelli, who was about to light the barbeque, said by this time last year for the Royal Wedding street party, the area was already packed.
“At 10am there were already people sitting eating their breakfast,” he said.
“Last year the party lasted till 1am, hopefully people will come out later.
You may also want to watch:
“But at least we tried.
When I saw the weather forecast I thought as usual that they never get it right, but this time unfortunately they did.”
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images