Street party update: empty streets instead of jubilant revellers in Hoxton
The rain and cold weather have put a dampener on street parties in Hackney today, with empty streets instead of revellers.
The only people braving the rain outside the George and Vulture pub in Pitfield Street are the organisers setting up and a handful of children making the most of the bouncy castle.
Disappointed kitchen director, Luigi Stancanelli, who was about to light the barbeque, said by this time last year for the Royal Wedding street party, the area was already packed.
“At 10am there were already people sitting eating their breakfast,” he said.
“Last year the party lasted till 1am, hopefully people will come out later.
You may also want to watch:
“But at least we tried.
When I saw the weather forecast I thought as usual that they never get it right, but this time unfortunately they did.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets