Street party update: empty streets instead of jubilant revellers in Hoxton
The rain and cold weather have put a dampener on street parties in Hackney today, with empty streets instead of revellers.
The only people braving the rain outside the George and Vulture pub in Pitfield Street are the organisers setting up and a handful of children making the most of the bouncy castle.
Disappointed kitchen director, Luigi Stancanelli, who was about to light the barbeque, said by this time last year for the Royal Wedding street party, the area was already packed.
“At 10am there were already people sitting eating their breakfast,” he said.
“Last year the party lasted till 1am, hopefully people will come out later.
You may also want to watch:
“But at least we tried.
When I saw the weather forecast I thought as usual that they never get it right, but this time unfortunately they did.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways