Super-sub Anthony Martial nets winner for Manchester United in close encounter with Tottenham Hotspur
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Premier League: Manchester United 1 Tottenham Hotspur 0
Anthony Martial came off the bench to fire Manchester United to victory as Jose Mourinho’s men edged a cagey encounter with high-flying Tottenham.
Second hosted third as the Premier League title contenders looked to keep up with early pace-setters Manchester City.
The match looked set to end in an unremarkable draw, only for substitute Martial to race onto Romelu Lukaku’s flick-on late on to fire United to a 1-0 win against Mauricio Pochettino’s Spurs.
The relief was palpable after the substitute’s effort bobbled past Hugo Lloris in the 81st minute, continuing United’s 100 per cent Premier League record at Old Trafford where they have not even conceded a goal.
You may also want to watch:
A smattering of jeers had greeted Mourinho’s decision to bring on Martial in place of Marcus Rashford, but the change paid dividends as United belatedly showed a cutting edge.
The substitute compounded Harry Kane-less Tottenham’s shock Carabao Cup defeat to West Ham, but things could have been different had Dele Alli not wasted Spurs’ best chance before Lukaku hit the post and Martial netted the winner.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia