Swimathon participants at London Fields Lido top national league
Swimmers at a London Fields pool made a big splash over the weekend as they took part in a sponsored event – and topped the national table.
The outdoor Lido pool hosted 165 swimmers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Swimathon 2011 – more than any other pool in the country.
The pool has a history of success. During last year’s event the Lido collected �26,000 for charity, earning itself the title of Highest Fundraising Pool.
Swimathon president and Olympic gold medallist Duncan Goodhew made an appearance at the pool last Wednesday (April 6) to present the award in person.
More than 220 Hackney swimmers took the plunge this year. As well as the Lido, Kings Hall and Clissold Leisure Centres also held Swimathon events. This year’s sponsorship money, which has yet to be counted, will go to Marie Curie Cancer Care.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for community services, said: “London Fields Lido is the most popular outdoor pool in the UK and it’s great to see so many people coming together to raise money for such a worthy cause.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta