Swimathon participants at London Fields Lido top national league
Swimmers at a London Fields pool made a big splash over the weekend as they took part in a sponsored event – and topped the national table.
The outdoor Lido pool hosted 165 swimmers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Swimathon 2011 – more than any other pool in the country.
The pool has a history of success. During last year’s event the Lido collected �26,000 for charity, earning itself the title of Highest Fundraising Pool.
Swimathon president and Olympic gold medallist Duncan Goodhew made an appearance at the pool last Wednesday (April 6) to present the award in person.
More than 220 Hackney swimmers took the plunge this year. As well as the Lido, Kings Hall and Clissold Leisure Centres also held Swimathon events. This year’s sponsorship money, which has yet to be counted, will go to Marie Curie Cancer Care.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for community services, said: “London Fields Lido is the most popular outdoor pool in the UK and it’s great to see so many people coming together to raise money for such a worthy cause.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney