Swimathon participants at London Fields Lido top national league
Swimmers at a London Fields pool made a big splash over the weekend as they took part in a sponsored event – and topped the national table.
The outdoor Lido pool hosted 165 swimmers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Swimathon 2011 – more than any other pool in the country.
The pool has a history of success. During last year’s event the Lido collected �26,000 for charity, earning itself the title of Highest Fundraising Pool.
Swimathon president and Olympic gold medallist Duncan Goodhew made an appearance at the pool last Wednesday (April 6) to present the award in person.
More than 220 Hackney swimmers took the plunge this year. As well as the Lido, Kings Hall and Clissold Leisure Centres also held Swimathon events. This year’s sponsorship money, which has yet to be counted, will go to Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for community services, said: “London Fields Lido is the most popular outdoor pool in the UK and it’s great to see so many people coming together to raise money for such a worthy cause.”
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney