Swimathon participants at London Fields Lido top national league
Swimmers at a London Fields pool made a big splash over the weekend as they took part in a sponsored event – and topped the national table.
The outdoor Lido pool hosted 165 swimmers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Swimathon 2011 – more than any other pool in the country.
The pool has a history of success. During last year’s event the Lido collected �26,000 for charity, earning itself the title of Highest Fundraising Pool.
Swimathon president and Olympic gold medallist Duncan Goodhew made an appearance at the pool last Wednesday (April 6) to present the award in person.
More than 220 Hackney swimmers took the plunge this year. As well as the Lido, Kings Hall and Clissold Leisure Centres also held Swimathon events. This year’s sponsorship money, which has yet to be counted, will go to Marie Curie Cancer Care.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for community services, said: “London Fields Lido is the most popular outdoor pool in the UK and it’s great to see so many people coming together to raise money for such a worthy cause.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service