Take part in Shoreditch fun run later this month
Youth charity Street Level is staging the 5k run
Budding London Marathon runners can warm up closer to home later this month, when a youth charity stages a 5k challenge in Shoreditch Park.
A group of youths from Street Level, in Pitfield Street, came up with the idea for the fun run, which takes place on Saturday March 26, and secured funding from the council-run Hackney Youth Opportunity Fund.
Street Level project manager, Claudia Turbet-Delof said: “Learning how to live healthily has been one of the key themes of our youth groups over the last year.
“That it was a group of young people who came up with this idea shows that the youth of Hackney are excited by the prospect of having the Olympic Games on their doorstep, and want it to inspire the whole borough to get fit.”
You may also want to watch:
Street Level are offering a free health check-up and training sessions at the Britannia Leisure Centre to help those who sign-up prepare for the challenge, and learn how lead a healthier lifestyle. Runners will also be provided with a running t-shirt and training pack.
All Hackney residents can take part, for more information see www.streetleveluk.org
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school