Teacher’s cancer charity head shave to match mother’s “new look”
- Credit: Archant
A teacher has said goodbye to her long hair to raise £10,000 for Cancer Research UK and match her mum’s “new look”.
Phoebe Mills-Powell, from Lower Clapton Road, was inspired to shave her head to help raise awareness and money in support of her mum Dana, 59, who is being treated for lung cancer.
Family and friends joined her at Blue Tit hairdressers in Lower Clapton Road, and those who had pledged the most sponsorship helped with the chop.
Dana was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in November 2012 after suffering with a cough for nine months, and Phoebe and her sisters Bridget, 29, and Rachel, 22, have taken it in turns to help care for their mum in Cambridge while she has undergone treatment including radiotherapy.
Phoebe said: “Organising this event has highlighted to me how many people have loved ones who are fighting the disease like my mum.
You may also want to watch:
“It was devastating when she was first diagnosed but her incredible bravery throughout her treatment has inspired the whole family.
“At times I have felt quite powerless to help Mum so it is reassuring to know that the money I raised will help make a difference to other cancer patients and their families.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
To sponsor Phoebe and help her reach her £10,000 target visit www.justgiving.com/Phoebe-Mills-Powell1.