Gazzaniga to get the nod in goal for Tottenham for semi-final
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Argentina international will aim to keep up his good record between the sticks for Spurs
Spurs have confirmed Paulo Gazzaniga will start in goal for their League Cup semi-final first leg at home to Chelsea this evening (8pm kick-off).
The Argentinian has played in each round so far and boss Mauricio Pochettino has suggested this will remain the case.
If Gazzaniga does start, he will look to continue his fine run of results in goal for the Lilywhites since signing in the summer of 2017.
He made his debut in a 1-0 success over Crystal Palace in the Premier League back in November 2017 and that ended up being his only appearance of his first season at the north London club.
You may also want to watch:
This term has proved more profitable for the ex-Southampton stopper, though, as he has played seven more times and is still yet to lose.
Gazzaniga featured in league wins away to Brighton & Hove Albion and Huddersfield Town and in the Champions League triumph over PSV at Wembley Stadium.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
He starred in the League Cup third round penalty shoot-out success over Watford too and started both other games in this tournament – wins at London rivals West Ham United and Arsenal.
After keeping a clean sheet in the 7-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup on Friday, Gazzaniga will now aim to shut out Chelsea tonight.
Spurs will be missing Lucas Moura for the clash, however, after he suffered a knee injury at Prenton Park.
The Brazilian is definitely unavailable for this last-four encounter and will be assessed before Manchester United visit on Sunday.
Erik Lamela is back again, though, after a bout of illness and will hope to be involved against the Blues.
Victor Wanyama (knee), Eric Dier (appendicitis), Jan Vertonghen (thigh) and Mousa Dembele (ankle) remain sidelined, although the latter two are back in training.
Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen, Moussa Sissoko and Toby Alderweireld were all on the bench in Merseyside, but will return to the starting XI for the clash with Chelsea.
Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose and Harry Winks are also set to earn recalls after they were given the night off on Friday.