Lloris ready to face Barcelona, but Spurs missing numerous other key men
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Lilywhites will be without Aurier, Vertonghen, Dembele, Alli and Eriksen for this week’s Champions League Group B fixture
Hugo Lloris is set to make his first Tottenham Hotspur appearance in over a month when Barcelona visit in the Champions League tomorrow (Wednesday).
The Spurs captain last played for the club in the 3-0 victory at Manchester United in the Premier League on August 27.
During the win, the World Cup winner suffered a thigh problem and as a result has had to sit out games with Watford, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Brighton & Hove Albion, Watford and Huddersfield Town.
He returned to full training this week, however, and boss Mauricio Pochettino told the press this afternoon he will start against Barcelona as long as he doesn’t suffer a setback over the next 24 hours.
You may also want to watch:
It is a big boost for Tottenham, although third-choice Paulo Gazzaniga has impressed since taking over from Michel Vorm, who is also out injured with a knee issue.
Vorm is one of several players at the club unavailable for the clash with the Catalonia side at Wembley Stadium.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
Dele Alli, Jan Vertonghen (both hamstring), Mousa Dembele, Serge Aurier (both thigh) and Christian Eriksen (abdomen) will all have to sit out this week’s tie in Group B of the Champions League.
All five are unlikely to be available until after the international break meaning they will also be absent for Saturday’s league clash at home to Cardiff City.
The most important fixture right now is Barcelona though, and Pochettino must try to come up with a formation which will suit the players at his disposal.
A back three has been successful for Spurs in European competitions and Eric Dier, Toby Alderweireld and Davinson Sanchez could line up there tomorrow.
Elsewhere, Harry Winks and Victor Wanyama may start again after they featured at Stadium MK against Watford in the League Cup last week.
Pochettino may also decide to use Moussa Sissoko and Fernando Llorente, two more who were involved last Wednesday.
The boss will be missing numerous key men, but the likes of Lloris, Kieran Trippier, Dier, Alderweireld, Danny Rose, Heung-min Son, Erik Lamela, Lucas Moura and Harry Kane are fit and they will all be desperate to help Spurs record a famous win.