Teenage girl’s distress to find mother after fatal Thai tablet overdose
PUBLISHED: 17:28 28 April 2015 | UPDATED: 17:28 28 April 2015
A woman died of a fatal dose of anti-depressants sent over to Hackney from her friend in Thailand.
Jaruwan Ng, 40, was found lifeless in bed by her teenage daughter at their home in Woodmill Road, Upper Clapton when she returned from college on December 2.
Her daughter, who was assisted by a Thai interpreter at an inquest into her death at Poplar Coroner’s Court, said Ms Ng had drunk four bottles of red wine in the previous 24 hours. She also estimated half the bag of yellow tablets were missing, with some scattered around the kitchen when paramedics arrived.
A post-mortem found Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline In fatal levels, as well as alcohol just about the drink-driving limit.
The massage therapist had told her daughter she wanted to take her life after an argument with her step-father the night before, but had then said that she did not want to die and just wanted to sleep.
Coroner William Dolman ruled out suicide.
“She died of misadventure which means some act taken by someone which led to unforeseen results,” he said.
“I conclude she didn’t want to end her life, she just wanted a good sleep. May I offer you sympathy on the loss of your mother and the way you found her in such sad and frightening circumstances.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.