Teenager charged with Lamarni Hylton-Reid’s murder appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A teenager appeared in court yesterday (Wednesday) charged with stabbing a young man to death in a busy high street following a row over a £5 note.
Lamarni Hylton-Reid, 20, of Warwick Grove, Clapton, was found suffering from a stab wound at the junction of Homerton High Street and Kenworthy Road in Homerton shortly after 5pm last Wednesday and was pronounced dead shortly afterwards in hospital.
A 17-year-old boy from Clapton, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with his murder and appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday morning via video link from Warren Hill Young Offenders Institution in Suffolk. It was a brief hearing in which he spoke only to confirm his name.
Mr Hylton-Reid was described as “one in a million” by friends this week. Close friend Mollie Lee told the Gazette: “I met Lamarni two-and-a-half years ago through fate. We just clicked.
“Lamarni was one in a million, such amazing company – always laughing and joking about something. I have not one bad memory of him, someone who always made me smile and someone to speak to when I was upset. My best friend was taken in such a cruel way. The good die too young. He is forever in my heart.”
A 17-year-old teenager, of Warwick Grove, who is friends with Mr Hylton-Reid’s brother but did not wish to be named, said: “He always cared for the young ones. He made sure we were alright and would give us money for food if we had nothing in our pockets.
“Every time we were out late, he would tell us to go home safely. He was always smiling. He was not connected to any gangs.”
- 1 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 2 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 3 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 4 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 5 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 6 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 7 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
Tributes also poured into social networking sites.
The 17-year-old has also been charged with threatening a person with a sharply pointed article. . A 19-year-old arrested for assisting an offender has been bailed pending further investigation.
Police investigating the death say they are keeping an “open mind” as to the motive.
Detectives are appealing for anyone with any information to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.