Teenager charged with Lamarni Hylton-Reid’s murder appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A teenager appeared in court yesterday (Wednesday) charged with stabbing a young man to death in a busy high street following a row over a £5 note.
Lamarni Hylton-Reid, 20, of Warwick Grove, Clapton, was found suffering from a stab wound at the junction of Homerton High Street and Kenworthy Road in Homerton shortly after 5pm last Wednesday and was pronounced dead shortly afterwards in hospital.
A 17-year-old boy from Clapton, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with his murder and appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday morning via video link from Warren Hill Young Offenders Institution in Suffolk. It was a brief hearing in which he spoke only to confirm his name.
Mr Hylton-Reid was described as “one in a million” by friends this week. Close friend Mollie Lee told the Gazette: “I met Lamarni two-and-a-half years ago through fate. We just clicked.
“Lamarni was one in a million, such amazing company – always laughing and joking about something. I have not one bad memory of him, someone who always made me smile and someone to speak to when I was upset. My best friend was taken in such a cruel way. The good die too young. He is forever in my heart.”
You may also want to watch:
A 17-year-old teenager, of Warwick Grove, who is friends with Mr Hylton-Reid’s brother but did not wish to be named, said: “He always cared for the young ones. He made sure we were alright and would give us money for food if we had nothing in our pockets.
“Every time we were out late, he would tell us to go home safely. He was always smiling. He was not connected to any gangs.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
Tributes also poured into social networking sites.
The 17-year-old has also been charged with threatening a person with a sharply pointed article. . A 19-year-old arrested for assisting an offender has been bailed pending further investigation.
Police investigating the death say they are keeping an “open mind” as to the motive.
Detectives are appealing for anyone with any information to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.