Internet ‘trolls’ disrupt online dance session with offensive April Fools Day prank
- Credit: PA
An online dance session for older carers was hijacked this morning by teenagers who “descended en masse” into the virtual gathering sharing offensive and racist imagery.
About 50 people hacked into the Zoom session, run by dance teacher Rachel Sparks, using fake email addresses having all registered at the last moment.
Anne-Marie Payne from City and Hackney Carers Centre told the Gazette about the incident on April 1: “A bunch of internet trolls descended en masse, too quickly for us to boot them out of the session, and quickly started sharing their screens full of pictures of women taking their tops off, swastikas and more.”
Anne-Marie set up The Hackney Carers Collective for carers aged 50 plus so that older carers could collaborate on artistic projects.
Since the Coronavirus outbreak and subsequent lockdown they have moved their dance sessions online.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re trying to reassure our carers that the internet is not a scary place and that connecting digitally during this time is still a good idea.
We’ve changed our settings so that it can’t happen again - you live and learn!” said Anne-Marie.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
City and Hackney Carers Centre has post-poned most of its Carers Collective group activities and Brocals group gatherings due to Corona virus but will continue to host online dance sessions.
One on one counselling, coaching and advice sessions are still being offered via telephone, e-mail and Skype.
To learn more about Hackney Carers visit https://www.hackneycarers.org.uk/