Tenants feel ‘unsafe’ after fire breaks out above The Diner in Dalston
- Credit: Archant
An electrical fault caused a fire above The Diner restaurant in Dalston on Sunday afternoon.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the scene, at the junction of Kingsland Road and Dalston Lane.
No one was injured in the fire, but a tenant in one of the 17 flats said she and her neighbours do not feel safe.
Mihret Zeratsion, 59, has lived in the block for 10 years and called 999 when she was arriving home and saw the fire breaking out above the restaurant sign.
She said: "I thought it was in my room but it was the room next door. The alarm did not go off.
You may also want to watch:
"The safety officer from the fire brigade checked to see if it needed to be evacuated but it was okay. The fire was between the restaurant and the flats. I think it was caused by a leak messing with the wires."
The building hit the headlines in November when a giant advert wrapped around the outside, blocking sunlight to the flats, was finally removed after a community campaign.
Safety issues were also raised at the time and Hackney Council vowed to investigate the living conditions and take action against the landlord if they found it was substandard. The Gazette understands the investigation is still taking place.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
Mihret added: "Nobody feels safe in that place, I'm not safe. I've had no water or heating for 11 days either.
"It's unsuitable accommodation for me. The place doesn't have a lift and I have to struggle to climb the stairs."