Tennis ace set to begin title defence
Anne Keothavong will look retain her GB Pro-Series singles title in Barnstaple
Hackney’s Anne Keothavong begins the defence of her AEGON GB Pro-Series Barnstaple ladies’ singles title next week.
The British number three will be hoping to retain her crown and $75,000 prize money at the Tarka Tennis Centre, but faces stiff competition to do so.
Ranked number three in the tournament the 29-year-old will have to overcome world number 58 Romina Oprandi from Switzerland and the world number 59 from the Netherlands Kiki Bertens.
Tournament director Rebecca James said: “We’re really excited about the event, especially given the strength of the draw, with so many top players on show.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re in for some really great tennis and it’s a fantastic opportunity for fans to come down, at very reasonable prices, to see players who have competed in this year’s Grand Slams, along with stars of the future.”
The event runs from October 28 to November 4. Tickets can be purchased at www.tarkatennis.net
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze