Tennis ace set to begin title defence
Anne Keothavong will look retain her GB Pro-Series singles title in Barnstaple
Hackney’s Anne Keothavong begins the defence of her AEGON GB Pro-Series Barnstaple ladies’ singles title next week.
The British number three will be hoping to retain her crown and $75,000 prize money at the Tarka Tennis Centre, but faces stiff competition to do so.
Ranked number three in the tournament the 29-year-old will have to overcome world number 58 Romina Oprandi from Switzerland and the world number 59 from the Netherlands Kiki Bertens.
Tournament director Rebecca James said: “We’re really excited about the event, especially given the strength of the draw, with so many top players on show.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re in for some really great tennis and it’s a fantastic opportunity for fans to come down, at very reasonable prices, to see players who have competed in this year’s Grand Slams, along with stars of the future.”
The event runs from October 28 to November 4. Tickets can be purchased at www.tarkatennis.net
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney