Tennis ace set to begin title defence
Anne Keothavong will look retain her GB Pro-Series singles title in Barnstaple
Hackney’s Anne Keothavong begins the defence of her AEGON GB Pro-Series Barnstaple ladies’ singles title next week.
The British number three will be hoping to retain her crown and $75,000 prize money at the Tarka Tennis Centre, but faces stiff competition to do so.
Ranked number three in the tournament the 29-year-old will have to overcome world number 58 Romina Oprandi from Switzerland and the world number 59 from the Netherlands Kiki Bertens.
Tournament director Rebecca James said: “We’re really excited about the event, especially given the strength of the draw, with so many top players on show.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re in for some really great tennis and it’s a fantastic opportunity for fans to come down, at very reasonable prices, to see players who have competed in this year’s Grand Slams, along with stars of the future.”
The event runs from October 28 to November 4. Tickets can be purchased at www.tarkatennis.net
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney