Tennis ace set to begin title defence
Anne Keothavong will look retain her GB Pro-Series singles title in Barnstaple
Hackney’s Anne Keothavong begins the defence of her AEGON GB Pro-Series Barnstaple ladies’ singles title next week.
The British number three will be hoping to retain her crown and $75,000 prize money at the Tarka Tennis Centre, but faces stiff competition to do so.
Ranked number three in the tournament the 29-year-old will have to overcome world number 58 Romina Oprandi from Switzerland and the world number 59 from the Netherlands Kiki Bertens.
Tournament director Rebecca James said: “We’re really excited about the event, especially given the strength of the draw, with so many top players on show.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re in for some really great tennis and it’s a fantastic opportunity for fans to come down, at very reasonable prices, to see players who have competed in this year’s Grand Slams, along with stars of the future.”
The event runs from October 28 to November 4. Tickets can be purchased at www.tarkatennis.net
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition