Recall Tottenham’s 1963 European Cup Winners’ Cup triumph

Tottenham Hotspur first team squad for 1963-64 with European Cup Winners' Cup: (back row, l-r) Cliff

Tottenham Hotspur first team squad for 1963-64 with European Cup Winners' Cup: (back row, l-r) Cliff Jones, Ron Henry, Mel Hopkins, Maurice Norman, John Hollowbread, Bill Brown, Bobby Smith, John White, Jimmy Greaves, John Smith; (front row, l-r) Frank Saul, Peter Baker, Dave Mackay, Danny Blanchflower, Tony Marchi, Les Allen, Terry Dyson, Eddie Clayton (pic: PA Images). - Credit: PA Archive/PA Images

Terry Dyson looks back on when Bill Nicholson’s team thrashed Atletico Madrid 5-1 to become the first British team to win a major European trophy

Spurs may not have won the European Cup before, but in 1963 they won the European Cup Winners' Cup and Terry Dyson remembers it fondly.

The winger spent a decade at White Hart Lane and perhaps his finest hour came against Atletico Madrid on May 15.

He famously fired a treble against Arsenal in 1961, but to score twice and play a hand in two more in a European final is hard to top.

Dyson, 84, recalled: "Second half we deserved to beat them and it was good and a great moment because we were the first British team to win a major European trophy."

You may also want to watch:

Jimmy Greaves opened the scoring in Rotterdam with a superb volley and it was 2-0 when John White fired home on the turn.

Atletico rallied, though, and Enrique Collar reduced the deficit two minutes into the second half with a penalty and it was game on again.

Most Read

The next goal was crucial and thankfully for Tottenham Hotspur it went to them and due to a big slice of luck, but they didn't care.

Yorkshireman Dyson got on the ball and flicked it over one opponent before he attempted a cross into the area.

And Atletico goalkeeper Edgardo Madinabeytia could only watch in horror as he got his angles wrong and saw the ball drop over his head and in.

At 3-1 up, Spurs were never going to look back and Dyson set up Greaves for his second and then applied the cherry on top with a wonderful fifth.

The 1961 Double-winner carried the ball from inside his own half, closed in on goal and smashed a stunning shot into the top corner.

"We took some stick early on and then got one out of the blue and from then onwards we dominated the game," Dyson recalled ahead of the Champions League final.

"Once we went in front it was incredible and I was a bit lucky with my goal. The goalkeeper pushed it in.

"I went down the line, the full-back followed me and I crossed it and thought the goalkeeper would get it, but he pushed it in the net, so that changed the game.

"We were two in front again and I crossed another which 'Greavesy' scored from and then I went on a long run and smashed one in from about 20 yards which put the icing on the cake."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter