TfL won't reverse decision to stop 277 bus at Dalston Junction - and responds to rumours 48 will be scrapped
PUBLISHED: 10:08 28 June 2018 | UPDATED: 16:06 16 August 2018
Transport chiefs have waved away protests over the cutting of the 277 bus route and the changes will be brought in as planned this weekend.
As reported in the Gazette last week, TfL has decided to stop the route at Dalston Junction from Saturday, meaning it will no longer continue on to Highbury Corner.
The move has caused widespread outrage among the thousands of commuters in the south of the borough who need to get to Highbury and Islington station.
Last week Hackney transport chief Cllr Feryal Demirci called on TfL to review the decision and mayor Phil Glanville said it was “unacceptable” concerns had not been taken into account. But TfL has told the Gazette there is no going back.
The service is being cut because Highbury Corner is being redeveloped.
During a consultation on that project only 26 per cent of respondents complained about the 277 proposals, as well as Hackney and Tower Hamlet councils, London Assembly member Jennette Arnold and travel campaigners.
Ben Plowden, TfL’s transport strategist, said: “We consulted on changing where the route 277 terminates as it will be unable to terminate at the new, safer road layout at Highbury Corner.
“We have boosted the frequency of the 30, which runs from Highbury Corner to Dalston, and our analysis shows this enhanced route will meet demand. The effects of these changes will be monitored.”
However, the “boosted frequency” will simply be three more services heading west from Hackney during the morning rush hour, and one more bus heading back during the evening spike.
In the consultation report, TfL acknowledged the decision would add to journey time for many users.
Meanwhile, TfL said Hackney Council’s belief the 48 service was under threat were wide of the mark. A spokesman said there were “no immediate changes planned”.
However, deputy mayor Cllr Feryal Demirci insists it was discussed.
She said: “The possibility of the 48 being removed was raised at a meeting between TfL and council officers, which was extremely alarming.
“If TfL have now confirmed that they no longer plan on removing or cutting this route, that’s good news. But we would like TfL to reassure our residents that there are no plans to cut or change any other bus routes in Hackney.”