The most important thing for Tottenham Hotspur at this stage of the season is to win, admits Mauricio Pochettino
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Spurs manager admits results take precedence at the business end of the campaign over style and substance after a laboured 2-0 win over Watford
Tottenham Hotspur moved five points clear of Chelsea in the race for a top four finish in the Premier League with a subdued display in a 2-0 win at home to Watford on Monday and afterwards Mauricio Pochettino expressed his happiness at the result.
Dele Alli appeared to have calmed any nerves with a 16th-minute opener, but the Hornets threatened on more than one occasion in the first half at Wembley.
Spurs were indebted to goalkeeper Hugo Lloris who produced a string of impressive saves before and after Harry Kane doubled the Lilywhites advantage in the 48th minute.
Although the display was below-par, much like the atmosphere inside the stadium, Pochettino said: “For me the most important thing in the last few games we are going to play - the games that we have ahead - is to win.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s about winning points. Of course maybe it wasn’t a great performance. I think we conceded a few chances, but there was Hugo Lloris in goal and he showed fantastic skill and why he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.
“Of course the most important thing for us is to win the three points because it puts us in a very important position in the table.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
“Now it’s important to keep going and trying to win because in the end it’s about being sure to win games and to be sure of the top four.”
Tottenham’s much-needed victory over Watford sees them move just a single point behind Liverpool, in third, with a game in hand.
Spurs are also five points ahead of Chelsea having both played 35 times with the Blues set to visit Anfield on Sunday.
Pochettino acknowledged the flat atmosphere at Wembley on Monday with Watford fans enjoying their evening, but many Tottenham supporters staying away with plenty of red seats visible at the national stadium.
After losing to Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final on April 21, there is still a sense of disappointment amongst the Lilywhites faithful and the club.
“I think it’s difficult to keep playing at a high level and showing great performances during 10 months,” replied Pochettino, when asked if the players were tired or had just suffered a hangover after the defeat to Jose Mourinho’s side over a week ago.
“Of course we were all disappointed, the fans were the same. You felt during the game with Watford the fans were disappointed because of the defeat to Manchester United.
“Everything meant the atmosphere wasn’t great to play, but I think the most important thing is to be in a good position in the table.
“We have three games ahead and I think it will be a very successful season if we finish in the top four.”