There With You: Hackney Wick chef raises money to feed her community
- Credit: Zoe's Ghana Kitchen
A Hackney Wick local is using her catering company to provide some of the most vulnerable people in her community with free hot meals.
Founder and chef of Zoe’s Ghana Kitchen, Zoe Adjonyoh, is teaming up with local providers such as St Paul’s Church on Roman Road to help supply and deliver hot meals and mini-well being kits to people who might have difficulties cooking and shopping for food during the Covid-19 pandemic.
She told the Gazette: “My priority is to keep my kitchen functioning so we can serve as many people in the community as possible for the next few months.”
Like many others, Zoe’s African food business has suffered from the lockdown as she’s not eligible to apply for a government loan based on the rateable value of her company but she’s driven to keep her kitchen open and help people like her father who suffers with his mental health and has underlying health issues. He was the inspiration for starting the project as she didn’t want people to fall through the cracks and find themselves without support.
“Right now it’s about helping, connecting and nourishing people and making sure everybody is looked after,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
She started her business in 2010 at Hackney Wicked Arts Festival and it went on to become the first modern West African restaurant in London in 2015 at Pop Brixton. She says she is proud her business has inspired the likes of Jollof Box in Dalston, Krio Kanteen and many others to open their own African food businesses.
She has launched a fundraiser to keep her community kitchen running and to pay staff.
To donate to Zoe’s and her fundraiser click here.
Click here to find out more about Zoe’s Ghana Kitchen
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site