Thieves steal £235 and shortbread in Stoke Newington Church Street raids
- Credit: Archant
Three shops in Stoke Newington’s Church Street were left with smashed store fronts after being hit in overnight raids, with thieves stealing £235 – and some shortbread.
Lydia Cafe, Hairtonic Unisex Salon and the New River Cafe were all targeted in the attacks, though it is not known at this stage whether they are linked.
The former suffered only the window damage, while the salon had £235 stolen from the cash register.
The burglars also managed to get into New River – but one worker told the Gazette they got nothing but cake.
“They broke in but they couldn’t find anything,” he said. “They completely smashed the front window, and they did eat some shortbread cake, but that’s it.”
You may also want to watch:
The worker, who did not want to be named, said the cafe had been raided so many times in his 16 years there he no longer bothers to call the police.
“Last time it happened police came and got their evidence and nothing happened,” he added. “We have cameras but they hide their faces and wear gloves, so they can’t do anything.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
Police were called to the other two venues and are investigating. Forensics also recovered a hat thought to be left at Hairtonic by one of the burglars.
Mario Masimilano, who owns the salon, said the raid was the first in his 12 years on the street and he didn’t feel safe.
Last month Church Street restaurants Il Bacio Express and Trattoria Da Luigi were targeted, while thieves also stole thousands of pounds of wages from chip shop Sutton and Sons around the corner in Stoke Newington High Street.