Thieves steal £235 and shortbread in Stoke Newington Church Street raids
- Credit: Archant
Three shops in Stoke Newington’s Church Street were left with smashed store fronts after being hit in overnight raids, with thieves stealing £235 – and some shortbread.
Lydia Cafe, Hairtonic Unisex Salon and the New River Cafe were all targeted in the attacks, though it is not known at this stage whether they are linked.
The former suffered only the window damage, while the salon had £235 stolen from the cash register.
The burglars also managed to get into New River – but one worker told the Gazette they got nothing but cake.
“They broke in but they couldn’t find anything,” he said. “They completely smashed the front window, and they did eat some shortbread cake, but that’s it.”
You may also want to watch:
The worker, who did not want to be named, said the cafe had been raided so many times in his 16 years there he no longer bothers to call the police.
“Last time it happened police came and got their evidence and nothing happened,” he added. “We have cameras but they hide their faces and wear gloves, so they can’t do anything.”
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
Police were called to the other two venues and are investigating. Forensics also recovered a hat thought to be left at Hairtonic by one of the burglars.
Mario Masimilano, who owns the salon, said the raid was the first in his 12 years on the street and he didn’t feel safe.
Last month Church Street restaurants Il Bacio Express and Trattoria Da Luigi were targeted, while thieves also stole thousands of pounds of wages from chip shop Sutton and Sons around the corner in Stoke Newington High Street.