This week 30 years ago: Police blame shopkeepers for Homerton solvent sniffer’s death
- Credit: Archant
Police blamed greedy shopkeepers for the death of 16-year-old solvent sniffer Calvin Radleigh, and set up a special hotline to trap them.
Calvin, of Churchill Walk, Homerton, collapsed and died in front of friends outside Homerton House School after sniffing a lethal dose.
And police hit out at traders selling large quantities of lighter fluid, aersoal sprays and correction fluid.
Insp Tom Lund-Lack said: “These shopkeepers are responsible, at least in part, for this young man’s death.
“Shopkeepers who sell several years’ supply of correction fluid to a youngster must know they are planning to sniff it.”
You may also want to watch:
Cops wanted people to call the hotline and report shopkeepers.
Meanwhile, health chiefs ordered medical checks for youngsters and staff at Clapton Park nursery after the matron was found to have tuberculosis. Four kids were found to have been exposed to the virus, though nobody had shown signs of contracting the highly-infectious disease.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back