This week 60 years ago: All who attended Hoxton dance where teen was stabbed to death wanted for questioning
- Credit: Archant
Police demanded to speak to everyone who attended a dance at Wenlock Manor in Cropley Street, Hoxton, where 18-year-old Dalston man Alan Compton was stabbed to death.
Two teenagers appeared before East London juvenile charged with the murder of Alan, of Hertford Road.
n In the month of June, 1958, more accidents occurred in Islington than any other London borough – as well as the highest fatality rates. There were 119 accidents, two of which were fatal.
n A ball of fire was seen by a woman just before an Upper Clapton housing block was struck by a thunderbolt.
“It came down from the sky and hit a chimney on the block of flats opposite, breaking it into little pieces,” said Olive Knight of Ferry House, Harrington Hill.
You may also want to watch:
The bolt struck Harrington House and left three flats covered in soot. No one was injured but there was a “terrible smell”.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 6 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 7 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 8 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan