This week 60 years ago: All who attended Hoxton dance where teen was stabbed to death wanted for questioning
- Credit: Archant
Police demanded to speak to everyone who attended a dance at Wenlock Manor in Cropley Street, Hoxton, where 18-year-old Dalston man Alan Compton was stabbed to death.
Two teenagers appeared before East London juvenile charged with the murder of Alan, of Hertford Road.
n In the month of June, 1958, more accidents occurred in Islington than any other London borough – as well as the highest fatality rates. There were 119 accidents, two of which were fatal.
n A ball of fire was seen by a woman just before an Upper Clapton housing block was struck by a thunderbolt.
“It came down from the sky and hit a chimney on the block of flats opposite, breaking it into little pieces,” said Olive Knight of Ferry House, Harrington Hill.
You may also want to watch:
The bolt struck Harrington House and left three flats covered in soot. No one was injured but there was a “terrible smell”.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12