This week 60 years ago: All who attended Hoxton dance where teen was stabbed to death wanted for questioning
- Credit: Archant
Police demanded to speak to everyone who attended a dance at Wenlock Manor in Cropley Street, Hoxton, where 18-year-old Dalston man Alan Compton was stabbed to death.
Two teenagers appeared before East London juvenile charged with the murder of Alan, of Hertford Road.
n In the month of June, 1958, more accidents occurred in Islington than any other London borough – as well as the highest fatality rates. There were 119 accidents, two of which were fatal.
n A ball of fire was seen by a woman just before an Upper Clapton housing block was struck by a thunderbolt.
“It came down from the sky and hit a chimney on the block of flats opposite, breaking it into little pieces,” said Olive Knight of Ferry House, Harrington Hill.
You may also want to watch:
The bolt struck Harrington House and left three flats covered in soot. No one was injured but there was a “terrible smell”.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 6 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero