This week in Hackney 60 years ago: Woman expecting quadruplets admits she’s worried about housing eight kids in one room
- Credit: Archant
A woman expecting quads told the Gazette she felt “wonderful”.
Lily Solly, 29, of Rosemary House, Hyde Road, Hoxton, was allowed to spend a week at home with her husband and four children because she was “getting along so well” at Hackney Hospital.
When the Gazette visited, three of her neighbours were having a cup of tea with Mrs Solly in her two-bedroom flat.
“All the neighbours have been really kind and helpful,” said Mrs Solly, who was due to give birth in two months on Guy Fawkes’ Day. Her only “real worry” was their home. The family of six was already crammed into one bedroom because of the damp, which would be “much too small” when the quads were born.
But, the Gazette reported, Mrs Solly felt certain the town hall would come to their aid once the quads were born.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Solly, a 34-year-old cook, was taking care of their other kids while his wife was in hospital.
“Phew,” he said. “I’ll be glad when it’s over.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Days left to register to vote in May elections