This week in history: Police hold back the crowds as beauty contest winner Gina Hickey weds Thomas Heslop in Dalston
- Credit: Archant
Policemen had to hold back the crowds as the winner of several beauty contests, Gina Hickey, wed Thomas Heslop at St Mark’s Church in Dalston.
Gina, 16, daughter of business couple Mr and Mrs Terence Hickey, told a Gazette reporter: “I wanted to be a model till I met Tommy, then I just wanted to be married to him.”
Well-wishers assembled outside the home of the bride’s parents throughout the whole day – some of them strangers who had read about the wedding.
Mr Hickey, who had an upholstery business, said he was “overwhelmed” by their kindness.
“Not only business associates, but many others sent their best wishes,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I should like them to know that we really appreciate it.”
Gina’s mother, a dressmaker, had stitched her gown with 12 yards of white silver brocade with a pattern of white roses.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
The newlyweds went on honeymoon to Jersey.