This week in history: Police hold back the crowds as beauty contest winner Gina Hickey weds Thomas Heslop in Dalston
- Credit: Archant
Policemen had to hold back the crowds as the winner of several beauty contests, Gina Hickey, wed Thomas Heslop at St Mark’s Church in Dalston.
Gina, 16, daughter of business couple Mr and Mrs Terence Hickey, told a Gazette reporter: “I wanted to be a model till I met Tommy, then I just wanted to be married to him.”
Well-wishers assembled outside the home of the bride’s parents throughout the whole day – some of them strangers who had read about the wedding.
Mr Hickey, who had an upholstery business, said he was “overwhelmed” by their kindness.
“Not only business associates, but many others sent their best wishes,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I should like them to know that we really appreciate it.”
Gina’s mother, a dressmaker, had stitched her gown with 12 yards of white silver brocade with a pattern of white roses.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
The newlyweds went on honeymoon to Jersey.