This week in history: Police hold back the crowds as beauty contest winner Gina Hickey weds Thomas Heslop in Dalston
- Credit: Archant
Policemen had to hold back the crowds as the winner of several beauty contests, Gina Hickey, wed Thomas Heslop at St Mark’s Church in Dalston.
Gina, 16, daughter of business couple Mr and Mrs Terence Hickey, told a Gazette reporter: “I wanted to be a model till I met Tommy, then I just wanted to be married to him.”
Well-wishers assembled outside the home of the bride’s parents throughout the whole day – some of them strangers who had read about the wedding.
Mr Hickey, who had an upholstery business, said he was “overwhelmed” by their kindness.
“Not only business associates, but many others sent their best wishes,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I should like them to know that we really appreciate it.”
Gina’s mother, a dressmaker, had stitched her gown with 12 yards of white silver brocade with a pattern of white roses.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 7 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
The newlyweds went on honeymoon to Jersey.