Thousands turn out to catch Olympic Opening Ceremony at the Big Screen at Haggerston Park
Thousands of people flocked to Haggerston Park to catch the 2012 Opening Ceremony on a giant screen which will be there for the duration of the Olympic Games.
A capacity crowd of 4,800 turned up for the screen’s debut and the audience cheered as the Red Arrows flew overhead at 20:12, again when the Queen made her acting debut with James Bond, and when Mr Bean delivered a virtuoso one-fingered performance on the keyboard.
They also joined in the singing and dancing as the event celebrated the best of Britain.
The magnificent closing fireworks could be glimpsed and heard from the site – less than three miles away from the Olympic stadium itself - as the Games were officially declared open.
Jules Pipe, Mayor of Hackney, said: “There were thousands of volunteers involved in the ceremony, including many Hackney residents, council staff and hundreds of Hackney schoolchildren.
You may also want to watch:
“Although it was a show for the whole of Britain it had a special resonance for Londoners, and for those communities who are hosting the Games.”
The Big Screen at Haggerston Park will be showing free, live action throughout the Olympic Games thanks to the council, including the closing ceremony on the evening of Sunday August 12.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
Food and drink stalls on site provide fare from around the world, and the Hackney 2012 sports zone offers a range of sports including athletics, basketball, wheelchair sports, BMX and badminton in the park.
There is also a giant screen laid on by City Hall in Victoria Park.
For full Olympics listings see http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/schedule-results