Alderweireld hoping Tottenham can enjoy ‘special night’ at Camp Nou
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Belgian is aiming to help Spurs qualify for the Champions League round of 16 with a win away to Barcelona
Toby Alderweireld is hoping to help Tottenham Hotspur produce a special night away to Barcelona on Tuesday in another must-win Champions League tie.
Spurs will travel to the Camp Nou knowing a victory would see them qualify for the round of 16 in stunning style after losing their first two Group B matches earlier in the campaign.
Mauricio Pochettino’s side saw off Inter Milan 1-0 on Wednesday, November 28), after substitute Christian Eriksen netted in the 79th minute, to keep alive their hopes of qualifying for the knock-out phase.
Now everyone at the club is dreaming of a landmark win at Barcelona to send them through as runners-up behind the La Liga champions.
You may also want to watch:
Centre back Alderweireld said: “We know it’s difficult to win there, but we have the result in our hands. Hopefully we can make that a special night and go through.”
The Belgian starred at the back along with countryman Jan Vertonghen at Wembley Stadium to shut out Inter.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
Spurs produced a mature display to defeat the Italians and move ahead of them in the table based on the head-to-head record – with Tottenham scoring more away goals over the two group fixtures.
It means if Pochettino can secure another win away to Barcelona, like he famously did when Espanyol manager, then the Lilywhites will reach the round of 16 again.
Tottenham could draw and still make it through and even lose potentially, but this way would see them relying on PSV to triumph away to Inter on the same night.
Alderweireld added: “I think we can beat everyone if we’re on it. Against Chelsea and then against Inter, two big teams, we showed we can get a very high level.
“We know it’s not going to be easy, but we will go there looking for the three points and we will do everything in our power to get them.”
Spurs couldn’t reach their highest level away to Arsenal, but that disappointing defeat would be a distant memory if the Lilywhites could do the unthinkable.
It is a massive ask, but the fact Tottenham have come back from the dead deserves credit. Now can they finish the job?