Alderweireld commits future to Tottenham by signing new contract until 2023
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Toby Alderweireld has signed a new contract with Spurs until the summer of 2023.
The 30-year-old joined the club from Atletico Madrid back in 2015 and has since gone on to make 179 appearances in all competitions.
His previous contract was due to expire at the end of this season but he has now committed his future to the club under new boss Jose Mourinho.
Speaking to the club, Alderweireld said: "I'm honoured to play for this club.
"I'm a small piece of getting to the next level in a couple of seasons, reaching the Champions League season in and season out and then reaching the final.
"This is just the beginning of something big and something very exciting.
"I'm a Spurs player and I couldn't see myself playing for another team.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 3 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 4 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 5 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 6 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 7 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 10 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
"I'm in love with the club and it feels both ways, I love the fans and the stadium. I'm living some sort of dream."