Alderweireld commits future to Tottenham by signing new contract until 2023
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Toby Alderweireld has signed a new contract with Spurs until the summer of 2023.
The 30-year-old joined the club from Atletico Madrid back in 2015 and has since gone on to make 179 appearances in all competitions.
His previous contract was due to expire at the end of this season but he has now committed his future to the club under new boss Jose Mourinho.
Speaking to the club, Alderweireld said: "I'm honoured to play for this club.
"I'm a small piece of getting to the next level in a couple of seasons, reaching the Champions League season in and season out and then reaching the final.
You may also want to watch:
"This is just the beginning of something big and something very exciting.
"I'm a Spurs player and I couldn't see myself playing for another team.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
"I'm in love with the club and it feels both ways, I love the fans and the stadium. I'm living some sort of dream."