Top comedians support Hackney’s smokers during Stoptober
Hackney’s smokers are encouraged to use their mouths for laughing rather than smoking this October as top comedians will help them complete Stoptober’s 28-day stop smoking challenge.
The Stoptober campaign is returning to Hackney on October 1 and comedians, including Paddy McGuinness, Al Murray, Simon Brodkin and Andi Osho, will be using humour to provide encouragement and support to the borough’s 23 per cent smoking population.
Last year’s Stoptober campaign saw 900 Hackney residents join the 250,000 people nationwide in the challenge with 65 per cent of participants managing to stop smoking for the full 28 days.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for health, said: “Quitting smoking is tough. The great thing about the 28 day Stoptober challenge is that everyone is in it together.
“I’d encourage every smoker who has thought about quitting to sign up, so we can have even more successful quitters this year.
You may also want to watch:
“Smoking is the biggest risk to health in Hackney – there are too many people dying from smoking related illnesses. Supporting Stoptober is one of the many ways the council and its partners are working to reduce the number of smokers in the borough, particularly young people.“
The 28-day stop smoking programme will include daily messages of motivation, persuasion and distraction, as well as jokes, tips and content for digital users.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 9 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 10 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
For more information and to join, search ‘Stoptober’ online and sign up.
For advice and support to stop smoking call 0800 169 1943 or visit smokefreecityandhackney.nhs.uk