Top comedians support Hackney’s smokers during Stoptober
Hackney’s smokers are encouraged to use their mouths for laughing rather than smoking this October as top comedians will help them complete Stoptober’s 28-day stop smoking challenge.
The Stoptober campaign is returning to Hackney on October 1 and comedians, including Paddy McGuinness, Al Murray, Simon Brodkin and Andi Osho, will be using humour to provide encouragement and support to the borough’s 23 per cent smoking population.
Last year’s Stoptober campaign saw 900 Hackney residents join the 250,000 people nationwide in the challenge with 65 per cent of participants managing to stop smoking for the full 28 days.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet member for health, said: “Quitting smoking is tough. The great thing about the 28 day Stoptober challenge is that everyone is in it together.
“I’d encourage every smoker who has thought about quitting to sign up, so we can have even more successful quitters this year.
You may also want to watch:
“Smoking is the biggest risk to health in Hackney – there are too many people dying from smoking related illnesses. Supporting Stoptober is one of the many ways the council and its partners are working to reduce the number of smokers in the borough, particularly young people.“
The 28-day stop smoking programme will include daily messages of motivation, persuasion and distraction, as well as jokes, tips and content for digital users.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
For more information and to join, search ‘Stoptober’ online and sign up.
For advice and support to stop smoking call 0800 169 1943 or visit smokefreecityandhackney.nhs.uk