Tottenham defender’s relishing fight for third after victory over Liverpool
Jan Vertonghen is hoping he can help Tottenham to their highest ever Premier League finish in his first season at the club after last night’s victory over Liverpool.
Spurs’ 2-1 triumph at White Hart Lane was combined with beneficial results elsewhere, as all four of the teams who were immediately ahead of them before kick-off dropped points.
Everton and Arsenal drew 1-1 on Merseyside, while Chelsea were held to a goalless draw by Fulham at Stamford Bridge, and West Brom lost 3-1 at Swansea.
That meant Spurs leapfrogged Arsenal and Everton into fifth place – and they now lie just three points behind third-placed Chelsea and fourth-placed Albion.
“The fixtures went well for us, there were a lot of draws, and we’re moving up again,” said Vertonghen. “I think Manchester City and Man United will compete for the championship and the rest of the teams will compete for the third and fourth place, and I hope we can be there.”
Next up for Spurs is a trip to Fulham and a reunion with their former manager Martin Jol – a man Vertonghen also knows well after their time together at Ajax.
“He is a good motivator,” said the defender. “He can always motivate teams for the biggest games, and even the smaller ones. I liked working with him and he gave me a lot of confidence. We’ve had two good wins but Fulham are a well-organised team.”
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 5 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 6 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs