Tottenham defender’s relishing fight for third after victory over Liverpool
Jan Vertonghen is hoping he can help Tottenham to their highest ever Premier League finish in his first season at the club after last night’s victory over Liverpool.
Spurs’ 2-1 triumph at White Hart Lane was combined with beneficial results elsewhere, as all four of the teams who were immediately ahead of them before kick-off dropped points.
Everton and Arsenal drew 1-1 on Merseyside, while Chelsea were held to a goalless draw by Fulham at Stamford Bridge, and West Brom lost 3-1 at Swansea.
That meant Spurs leapfrogged Arsenal and Everton into fifth place – and they now lie just three points behind third-placed Chelsea and fourth-placed Albion.
“The fixtures went well for us, there were a lot of draws, and we’re moving up again,” said Vertonghen. “I think Manchester City and Man United will compete for the championship and the rest of the teams will compete for the third and fourth place, and I hope we can be there.”
You may also want to watch:
Next up for Spurs is a trip to Fulham and a reunion with their former manager Martin Jol – a man Vertonghen also knows well after their time together at Ajax.
“He is a good motivator,” said the defender. “He can always motivate teams for the biggest games, and even the smaller ones. I liked working with him and he gave me a lot of confidence. We’ve had two good wins but Fulham are a well-organised team.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs