Tottenham Hotspur complete the signing of Davinson Sanchez from Ajax
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Former Atletico Nacional defender agrees deal with Premier League club until summer of 2023
Tottenham Hotspur have made their first signing of the summer after reaching an agreement with Ajax for the transfer of Davinson Sanchez subject to a medical and work permit.
The Colombian international has put pen to paper on a deal until 2023 with Spurs paying a reported club record fee of £42 million for the centre back.
Davinson spoke to the official club website and said: “I would like to thank the coach, management, players and fans of Ajax. It is a great move for me to come here to develop my career.
“I am very excited to be signing for such a famous club as Tottenham Hotspur. I am looking forward to working with Mauricio Pochettino and the players and meeting everyone there.”
You may also want to watch:
The defender moved to Ajax from Colombian club Atletico Nacional in June 2016 and made 47 appearances for the Dutch side, scoring seven goals.
Sanchez won Ajax’s ‘Rinus Michels’ Player of the Year Award in his only season at the Club, which was previously won by Jan Vertonghen in 2012 and Rafael van der Vaart in 2002.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
He made his professional debut for Atletico Nacional aged 17 and was part of their Copa Libertadores winning side in 2016.
Having represented his country at Under-17, Under-20 and Under-23 levels, Sanchez made his senior Colombia debut in November, 2016 and has made two appearances for the national side.
Now he is a Tottenham player and could be involved in some capacity on Sunday, as Spurs take on Chelsea at Wembley.