Tottenham Hotspur release a number of players from Wayne Burnett’s development squad
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Spurs have bid farewell to six of their under-23s while the future of Marcus Edwards remains up in the air
Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed the departures of a number of their development squad players following the conclusion of their contracts.
Under-23 boss Wayne Burnett, formerly of Dagenham & Redbridge, will not have Ryan Loft, Christian Maghoma, Luke O’Reilly, Joe Pritchard or Nick Tsaroulla at his disposal for next season.
In addition to the aforementioned five players exiting Spurs, second year academy scholar Matthew Lock has also been released.
A statement on the official club website read: “We wish them all the best for the future in the next stage of their careers.
One of Tottenham’s most high-profile players in their development squad is 19-year-old Marcus Edwards and he could be set to depart as well this summer.
The Guardian report the Spurs attacker will seek a move away having reluctantly accepted his chance of a first-team breakthrough under Mauricio Pochettino has gone.
Edwards made his club debut during the 2016/17 campaign as a substitute when the Argentinean brought him on during a League Cup tie against Gillingham.
- 1 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 4 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 9 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
It was set to be the start of an exciting career for the youngster at Spurs, but injuries have held him back and he has failed to kick on over the past 18 months.
A loan spell at Norwich City at the beginning of this year was hoped to be the start of Edwards getting back on track, but he struggled for minutes at Carrow Road.
He wasn’t helped by a back injury, though returned to Spurs early in April and may now departure the club this summer.