Harry Kane signs new six-year deal with Tottenham Hotspur ahead of move to new stadium
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The forward is understood to have doubled his wages and will be the first of many high-profile players to pen new terms
Tottenham Hotspur have received a massive boost by agreeing a new six-year deal with forward Harry Kane.
The academy graduate will now be under contract to the club until the summer of 2024 and will almost certainly lead the team into their new stadium.
Kane is understood to have doubled his wages in addition to the bonus structure already in his deal.
It is a huge positive for Spurs ahead of the 2018 World Cup where England’s captain is backed to impress.
You may also want to watch:
On the news, Kane told the official Tottenham website: “Obviously I’ve just signed a new contract.
“I’m delighted with that and I can’t wait to see you fans in the stadium next season.”
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
- 10 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
A statement from the club read: “We are delighted to announce that Harry Kane has signed a new six-year contract with the club, which will run until 2024.
“Since emerging from our academy, Harry has established himself as one of the leading strikers in European football, as he continues to set goalscoring records.
“Most recently, he became the club’s leading scorer in the Premier League era, surpassing Teddy Sheringham’s total of 97, while he has also joined the elite group of players to score 100 Premier League goals, doing so in just 141 games.
“Harry finished the 2017 calendar year as the top goalscorer in European football with 56 goals for club and country, as well as breaking Alan Shearer’s record for the most Premier League goals scored in a calendar year, recording 39 in total.
“Having been voted into the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for the last four seasons in a row, Harry is also a previous winner of the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2015 and is a two-time winner of the Premier League Golden Boot.
“In total, he scored 41 goals in all competitions this past campaign - his best return for a season.”
Kane’s decision to agree new terms with Tottenham follows the commitment by boss Mauricio Pochettino, who signed a five-year contract last month.
With two of the most important figures at the club tied down to long-term deals, it is expected several other players will follow suit in the coming weeks.
Club captain Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen, Eric Dier, Christian Eriksen and Dele Alli are all set to be rewarded with new improved contracts and Spurs will hope to finalise those deals ahead of the 2018 World Cup, which starts on Thursday.