Tottenham Hotspur: Harry Winks praises Mauricio Pochettino after making England debut
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Spurs youngster impressed for national team in Lithuania on Sunday
Harry Winks has thanked Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino for continuing to place his trust in young English talent after making his debut for the senior national team on Sunday.
Winks made his England debut in the 1-0 win over Lithuania, turning in an eye-catching performance in midfield despite having only four Premier League starts under his belt.
His integration in the first-team picture has been carefully handled by club boss Pochettino, whose show of faith has helped spur the likes of Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier and Danny Rose into the senior set-up.
Winks is now angling to join his club-mates at next summer’s World Cup and lays the credit at the door of his Argentinian boss.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s well known English players struggle to get opportunities in the Premier League, which is difficult for us,” he said.
“Fortunately for me he’s given me my chance and I can’t thank him enough for that.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
“It’s brave for the manager to do it but we have to justify that decision and I think I can say I’ve done that.”
Winks, 21, praised Pochettino’s holistic approach, spending as much time on his players’ mentality as their football skills.
“Not only has he helped me physically and technically but he’s helped mentally as well, that’s something I can thank him for as well,” he said.
“He’s a top manager and a top man as well. He’s someone who’s always there to give advice and help you. He just breeds confidence around the camp.”
As well as his eye-catching dispay on the field, Winks’ choice of footwear for his England debut also garnered praise on social media.
The 21-year-old opted for black boots for the trip to Lithuania, drawing praise from fans watching on television for his traditional choice of colour.
Having now made his senior international debut, Winks will hope his displays for England are what catches the eyes of fans in future.
And after such a positive start against Lithuania, the young midfielder will hope his international career goes from strength to strength.