Tottenham Ladies’ away win at Sheffield United marred by racist allegation
- Credit: Archant
Spurs Ladies defender Renee Hector was allegedly subject to racism and the two clubs involved and FA have opened up an investigation into the incident
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies secured an impressive 2-1 win at Sheffield United Women in the FA Women’s Championship on Sunday, but the talk after the match centred on an allegation of racist abuse.
Spurs defender Renee Hector took to Twitter after the game to insist she heard “some monkey noises” from an opposition player.
Both Tottenham and Sheffield United confirmed an investigation will now take place and the Football Association revealed they will make enquires into the matter too.
Hector said: “Such a shame that racism seems to be rising up again in football - I received some monkey noises today from an opposition player.
“The only reaction was to let the football do the talking and that we did. A great start to the year.”
A statement from Tottenham Hotspur Ladies read: “The club is aware of allegations of racial abuse made by Renée Hector following today’s victory at Sheffield United Women, that were reported to the referee by the player during the match.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 3 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 6 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 7 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
“We have since reported the alleged incident to the FA and await their response. We shall be making no further comment on the allegations at this time.”
Hosts Sheffield United Women added: “Sheffield United are aware of the allegations made on social media following today’s fixture against Tottenham Hotspur Ladies.
“We can advise that the club is conducting a thorough investigation into this matter.”
An FA spokesperson said: “The FA can confirm that we are aware of an allegation of discriminatory abuse during The FA Women’s Championship match between Sheffield United Women and Tottenham Hotspur Ladies on Sunday 6 January.
“We take all allegations of discrimination very seriously and will be making enquiries into the matter.”
Goals from Rianna Dean and Sarah Wiltshire secured a 2-1 victory for Spurs, which saw them move back up to second in the table.