Spurs pegged back for a draw at Olympiacos
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Champions League: Olympiacos 2 Tottenham Hotspur 2
Tottenham Hotspur had to settle for a point in their Champions League group stage opener with a 2-2 draw away to Greek side Olympiacos.
Spurs led 2-0 early on through Harry Kane and Lucas Moura but were pegged back by the hosts thanks to Mathieu Valbuena and Daniel Podence at the Karaiskakis Stadium.
Mauricio Pochettino made five changes to the side that sealed a comfortable 4-0 win over Crystal Palace on the weekend as Danny Rose and Serge Aurier didn't travel with the side while Erik Lamela, Moussa Sissoko and Heung-Min Son were dropped to the bench.
Davison Sanchez, Ben Davies, Tanguy Ndombele, Lucas Moura, and Dele Alli came in with the latter making his first start of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Hosts Olympiacos started on the front foot pushing forward at the Tottenham defence and it almost paid off after 15 minutes when Daniel Podence and Miguel Angel Guerrero had shot on goal but were both denied by Hugo Lloris.
Shortly after the visitors got away with one as Podence hit the post and rebound deflected out to Brazilian Guilherme who fired his effort over the crossbar.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 10 Hackney author tells how a mysterious death mask links to a well known invention
In the 25th minute England International Harry Kane was brought down inside the box and Spurs were awarded a penalty.
The 26-year-old striker struck it right down the middle from the spot into the net as Jose Sa dived to the side to give his side a 1-0 lead.
Four minutes later Lucas Moura doubled Mauricio Pochettino's side lead as he hit a rocket of a shot past Sa from distance.
Olympiacos clawed themselves back into the tie when the dangerous Prodence drove a fierce shot into the bottom left corner in the final minute of the first-half.
Early in the second-half Christian Eriksen picked out attacking midfielder Dele Alli who slid the ball home but it was waved away for offside.
The Greek Super Cup winners then levelled the score as Frenchman Mathieu Valbuena sent Lloris the wrong way as he fired the ball into the bottom right corner from the spot after being awarded a penalty in the 54th minute.
Alli then raced into the box and got his shot away but Sa somehow managed to get his hand to it to keep the score at 2-2 in the 65th minute of play.
Both sides looked for a winner but failed to create any golden chances in the dying stages of the encounter to play out a draw.
Olympiacos: Sa, Elabdellaoui, Meriah, Semedo, Tsimikas, Guilherme, Bouchalakis, Masouras (Randjelovic 78), Valbuena (Benzia 69), Podence, Guerrero (El Arabi 89).
Unused subs: Camara, Allain, Papadopoulos, Torosidis.
Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Ndombele (Sissoko 62), Winks, Eriksen, Alli (Son 73), Moura (Lamela 76), Kane.
Unused subs: Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Dier, Wanyama.